Land Use Planning specializing in holistic Cumulative Effects Assessment
I share knowledge and help people through consulting, courses, seminars and workshops.
I help Project Planners, Reviewers, and Decision-makers understand & manage the Cumulative Effects of multiple overlapping land-uses and Mother Nature to create the future they want.
I'm betting you and I have a lot in common
If you are like most of my colleagues, you're a successful, high-achiever. You are committed to our sustainable future with a vibrant economy, a healthy environment and resilient cultures. You are passionate about applying your knowledge and experience to leave a lasting impact on the world.
But sometimes it feels like the complexity of multiple overlapping human land uses, combined with Mother Nature and new disruptors like climate change is just too much to untangle. Maybe you feel like this colleague of mine:
"I know we need to do a better job of accounting for and managing cumulative effects - but I'm just one person. I'm not sure where to start and our company is relying on me and my team to figure this out."
Does This Sound Like You?
* Does cumulative effects feel overwhelming, like you're drinking from a fire hydrant? Or drowning in complexity?
* Do you worry that if you don't address cumulative effects effectively, your going to face criticism, protest, and project delays?
* Do you wish there was a step-by-step guide or template you could use so you don't waste valuable time and money figuring it out?
If so, you're not alone. So many of us have or do feel the very same.
I Know How You Feel
For almost 3 decades I've been learning, testing, developing and partnering with people like you and I to better understand the system dynamics of our inter-related economy, environment and society.
As a Forester, I've been the guy on the ground engineering the delivery of logs to a sawmill at least cost while simultaneously balancing multiple landscape values through integrated resource management. As the Project Manager of a multi-million dollar and multi-year project to develop a Land Management Framework for of one of the world's largest and most visible oil plays - the Alberta Oilsands region - I learned what the intense pressure of delivering on time, on target and on budget for a multi-stakeholder group of 47 feels like.
I've also been truly blessed to know and work with so many experts across a huge range of disciplines. Together, we've developed systems, methods, techniques and trade secrets to find the right path through the complexity.
I Can Help
I share my answers and solutions to take away the overwhelm, worry and fear. I know from my own experience that applying these can turn those nagging problems into your competitive advantage.
My Goal Here - Build Relationships
I want to build relationships with people like you who think critically, help you build up your ideas and watch you be a game changer.
Here’s what you can expect me to bring to our relationship:
* You can expect that I’m going to openly share with you what works for me so that you can accomplish your success more quickly.
* I’ll share with you what I have found works and what doesn’t, my best practices and many of my trade secrets I have until now, only reserved for my consulting clients.
* Expect that I want to know more about you and what you want to do.
* Expect to not just hear from me - I will connect you to other leading experts in systems, planning and success.
* You can expect me to challenge both of us to reach beyond “Business As Usual” and build a future worth having. We will not accept having the future happen to us – we are going to create it.
* You will know that I view the world holistically and that I work to understand the complicated systems at play.
* I also aim to cultivate a community of like-minded people who have a place to easily share, collaborate, and collectively move the bar forward in our practice.
As John Muir so profoundly wrote,
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."
I think that understanding this is critical to understanding sustainability and resilience. We can’t just look at any one activity by itself and understand what is happening. That is not how the world works. We need to understand the cumulative effects of all human activity and Mother Nature acting together.
I share knowledge and help people like you through consulting, courses, seminars and workshops. I teach using active learning by providing you with lessons to work on that apply now to your business, project or life so that you don’t just spend time acquiring concepts – you apply your knowledge right away and get things done. Time is precious and limited – we need to make the most of yours.
Why do I do this?
Because we can accomplish so much more when we share what we've learned with others – and that’s what I want. I hope you will take knowledge from here and run with it, make it your own - I know that more successful people is a great thing for the world.
So that’s why I’m here sharing. And if you are still here, wow I’m excited about that because I know that means you share my passion for finding the solutions and being a game changer!!
I regularly write blog posts at http://www.barryjwilson.com to share ideas that work for me or that I've seen others be successful with. I hope this is a place where we will have many good conversations and challenge ourselves to reach higher. There's a searchable index to help you find the topic your interested in quickly and easily. I invite you to put your stamp on this section too by commenting and engaging with me and other readers.