Public Support Advisor - College of Physicians & Surgeons of Nova Scotia (BB-E65DB)
Found in: Neuvoo CA
Requisition ID: 107176
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 50,000-100,000
Type of Remuneration: Other
Site Visit & Reallocation Allowance Programs:
Department of Health & Wellness Incentives:
About This Opportunity
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia serves the public by regulating the province's medical profession in accordance with the Nova Scotia Medical Act and its regulations. Among other responsibilities, the College licenses physicians to practise medicine, supports high standards of medical practice and investigates complaints about physicians.
The College recognizes the barriers the public may face in coming forward with a complaint about their physician. We have committed to providing a safe and supportive environment for the public to ask their questions or express concerns about their physician. In an effort to minimize further trauma that may result from participating in our investigation process, and to reduce barriers to reporting, the role of Public Support Advisor was created in 2019.
The Public Support Advisor (PSA) advises the public of the College's mandate and role in the healthcare system within Nova Scotia.
The PSA is the first point of contact for the public who contact the College. Inquiries may relate to College standards and guidelines, access to medical records or concerns related to a physician’s conduct, competence or capacity.
A background in Social Work will allow for effective rapport building, communication and support. In some cases the concern may be addressed informally through communication with the physician directly by the PSA. In other cases, the concern may result in the initiation of a formal complaint. The PSA will assist all complainants in navigating the complaint process on an as needed basis.
The PSA is the main point of contact, support and navigation for all complainants in sexual misconduct cases throughout the investigation process.
• Supports the navigation of concerns or issues raised by the public via telephone, email, or written correspondence;
• Advises the public of the College's standards and guidelines as requested, and provides clarification and interpretation;
• Identifies complainants who may benefit from additional support (e.g. sexual boundary complaints, death of family member, mental illness or illiterate complainant);
• Documents all discussions with the complainant, including those regarding the College's jurisdiction, complainant participation in the process, and potential outcomes;
• Recognizes inquires that would be appropriate for informal resolution that do not represent an ongoing risk to the public;
• Works collaboratively with investigation leads and investigation committees;
• Maintains awareness of resources available to complainants in the community and provides information as appropriate.
• Bachelor of Social Work or other Regulated Healthcare Professional
• Five (5) years direct professional experience and training supporting vulnerable individuals who are experiencing sexual trauma, mental illness, addition, death and grief;
• Must be a member of a regulated health profession in Nova Scotia in good standing.
• Demonstrated ability to work competently with individuals, groups and families;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people, having cultural awareness and sensitivity;
• Experience working in a regulatory environment is an asset.
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Adobe Acrobat
• Microsoft CRM
If you qualify for the above position we invite you to apply with your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations. The salary range of 50,000 - 100,000 as indicated is broader than the actual salary range of this position. Please identify your salary expectations in your cover letter.
Please apply by using the Apply Now button or apply via email to
Applications will be received until the position is filled. Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia supports a healthy work-life balance. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including health and dental insurance, group pension plan, health and wellness allowance, educational assistance and professional development opportunities.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons is committed to fostering a work environment that values diversity and is free of discrimination. We welcome candidates with diverse abilities and backgrounds. If you are a qualified candidate of an employment equity group, you are encouraged to self-identify in your application. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
calendar_today5 hours ago
work IWK Health Centre