Business Development Officer (BB-66169)
Found in: Neuvoo CA
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Investment and Business Development.
1. Act as principal liaison for local and external business clients that are interested in developing and/or expanding an operation in CGS and provide leadership, advice and assistance to maximize their chances of success.
2. Provide guidance to individuals, groups and/or local organizations involved in the commercial sector that require assistance in working with the various departments of CGS and other provincial or federal agencies.
3. Achieve quality customer outcomes in response to established performance measurement targets and customer feedback.
4. Assist in conducting negotiations with representatives of business, industry and government to influence and facilitate the establishment of commercial, industrial and value-added development.
5. Pursue and manage community economic development projects within and outside CGS in support of the CGS Community Economic Development Strategic Plan, including specific initiatives including Business Retention and Expansion, Investment Attraction and Workforce Development.
6. Assist in the marketing of CGS owned industrial parks including site selection, negotiations, land sales, property standards, maintenance and utilities and market other industrial areas within CGS.
7. Provide advice and information to investors and developers on matters pertaining to industrial and commercial projects.
8. Facilitate and assist entrepreneurs, and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) within and outside CGS in their start-up, development and expansion plans.
9. Assist clients in understanding procedures and by-laws, official plans, building codes and other legislative policies, and facilitate interactions with internal CGS regulatory staff to ensure a timely and efficient approach to investment and business development.
10. Monitor industry trends and best practices in economic development in order to effectively evaluate performance, modify approaches and implement new methodologies to ensure continuous improvement.
11. Act as a facilitator between proponents, potential investors and/or senior government financial assistance programs to secure equity, assistance and expertise to realize a successful start-up, expansion and increased probability for success.
12. Negotiate purchase contracts and/or agreements as required and in accordance with CGS policies.
13. Manage the financial, human and physical resources for assigned projects. Prepare grant applications, monitor budgets and fulfil reporting requirements.
14. Prepare business plans for the management of economic development projects including objectives, budget, benchmarks and time lines.
15. Conduct job performance appraisals, salary reviews and discipline, and act as Management’s Representative in the Grievance Procedure in accordance with any respective Collective Bargaining Agreement.
16. Review and conduct necessary due diligence and monitoring associated with the administration and delivery of the funding programs within the Economic Development portfolio.
17. Establish and maintain solid networks with industry partners, community stakeholders and institutions. Organize and attend meetings with business groups, foreign delegations, government agencies and other organizations.
18. Prepare briefs, reports and presentations for GSDC Board, Council or internal working groups as required to assist in policy development, strategic plans and council decision-making.
19. Review and analyse business plans/proposals to assess their viability and potential benefit, while being sensitive to the confidential nature of client business plans and provide a secure environment for them to work with government.
20. Conduct statistical analysis, long range planning and economic analysis, and present data as required.
21. Act as a spokesperson for the Division as required. Attend and facilitate public meetings, respond to inquiries from Councillors, citizens and the media.
22. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
23. Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
Education and Training:
Tactical Coordination and Direction (I)
Shaping the Future
Take a creative approach to problems or issues, “think outside the box”, go beyond the conventional, and explore creative uses of resources.
Proposes innovative ideas
Judgment and Decision Making
Make sound decisions involving varied levels of complexity, ambiguity and risk.
Assimilates and interprets data to make competing decisions
Delivering Business Results
Work and communicate collaboratively within City of Greater Sudbury to create alignment within and across teams and groups.
Collaborates beyond one’s area
The desire to work closely with internal and external customers to meet and exceed their expectations.
Addresses underlying customer/stakeholder needs
Planning, Coordination & Execution
Plan and coordinate work to achieve desired results on a consistent basis.
Coordinates activities involving others within one’s team
Aligning People & Teams
Holding Self & Others Accountable
Hold others accountable to execute to high standards of excellence and hold themselves accountable to the same or higher standard.
Monitors performance and gives corrective feedback
Inspire others to work toward common goals by engaging and empowering them, and providing clarity and direction.
Optimizes team effectiveness
Enhancing Personal Effectiveness
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Continuously develop and enhance one’s own and others’ personal and professional skills, knowledge and abilities.
Models a learning orientation
Adapt and work effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups.
Applies rules flexibly
Communicate effectively by reflecting on verbal and non-verbal behaviour, being attuned to the needs, perspectives and sensitivities of others and acting with them in mind.
Effectively uses empathy
Acting with integrity, ensuring one’s actions are consistent with City of Greater Sudbury’s values and expectations.
Is publicly candid with the team, acting with integrity consistent with one’s beliefs
Develop and maintain a sense of presence and emotional maturity and have an inner confidence that one can succeed and overcome obstacles.
Demonstrates personal courage
calendar_today4 days ago