Principal Software Engineer (BB-0DEF3)
Found in: Talent CA
Who are we?
We are the Azure Communication Services team. We power reliable, high quality SMS, Chat, PSTN, video calling and
meeting services across Microsoft products. Our service platform is well architected, globally distributed, highly
scalable and built for the Cloud. The World continues to scale towards remote work, learn and play. Come find your
purpose with us to connect the World. We are grounded in our mission to enable all organizations and customers to
achieve more in work and life. Our team is growing fast and learning fast to enable the next generation of
communication experiences. We need strong candidates like you across all walks of life and experiences. Don't come
just to join a great team. Come with the mindset to make a great team exceptional and we can be the career home you
are looking for.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer who is passionate about architecting and building real-time services that will
enable customers to power their Applications and providing APIs, Billing and Configuration management for these
customers. This is an area that is evolving rapidly both inside and outside of Microsoft, and you’ll be at the forefront of
that change. As an engineer on this team you’ll get to immerse yourself in cutting edge technology with the team and
influence the huge business opportunity that lies ahead, for this team.
· You’ll be a model guide for an engineering team that will develop and manage large scale, distributed
communication applications and services
· Build strong relationships with partner teams within Microsoft to bring innovation to new and existing
· Work with Program Management to influence business strategy.
· Foster a culture of inclusivity and disciplined software engineering practices to deliver business value, guided by
· Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions.
· Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design and code reviews.
· System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging
data/telemetry to make decisions.
· Develop “best-in-class” engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are well-
defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
· Improve test coverage for services, organize and implement integration tests, and resolve problem areas.
· Consider testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understand when code is ready to be
shared and delivered.
· Gain a working understanding of Microsoft as a business and collaborate with mentors and leaders in order to
contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users.
· Focus on customer/partner needs through a data driven approach.
Essential qualifications ·
· BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering OR equivalent years of work experience.
· 8+ years of industry experience developing enterprise grade software.
· Familiarity with building applications and services in the Cloud would be very helpful. Knowing Microsoft Azure stack is helpful, but not required.
· Ability to communicate technical details clearly across organizational boundaries.
· Experience in DevOps to maintain live services and\or application frameworks
· Cloud and services experience, with Azure cloud experience highly desirable.
· Excellent analytical skills with systematic and structured approach to software design
· Passion for building highly scalable, highly reliable services
· Experience with or exposure to Agile and iterative development processes. Interpersonal skills
· Growth Mindset with a desire to learn, a tendency to embrace challenges, persist in the face of setback, see failures as essential to mastery, learn from criticism and find lessons and inspiration in the success of others.
· Help to create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result.
· Confident and articulate in expressing ideas to a mixed audience with varying views and challenges.
· A sense of personal ownership and accountability is required, together with the ability to deliver to deadlines while managing internal stakeholder expectations.
· Self-motivated with a strong drive for reaching across teams and organizations to make progress collaboratively.
calendar_today3 days ago