Things Grandpa tried to teach me:
1) Life is simpler when you plough around the stump.
2)A yellow jacket is faster than a John Deere tractor.
3) Words that soak into your ear are whispered, not yelled.
4) Meanness doesn't happen overnight.
5) Don't sell your mule to buy a plow.
6) Don't corner something meaner than you.
7) The best sermons are lived, not preached.
8) Most of the stuff people worry about never happens.
9) Don't squat with your spurs on.
10) Don't judge people by their relatives.
11) Don’t interfere with things that are not bothering you.
12) Letting’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than putting it in
13) You can't tell how good a man is or a watermelon is till they are thumped
14) Always drink upstream from the heard
15) Never miss a good chance to shut up
My Grandpa lived in a different time and in a different world. He was a farmer who lived in rural Saskatchewan, and he did not like the cities and never visited them. As you can see some of what he told me I could never use, but the thought was there. I have put in bold those ideas that I think are important, not only to farmers but to the rest of us as well.
As we move on in life, we may decide to teach our grandchildren, grand nieces and nephews our views on life. What we need to remember is that they live in a different world than we did and the advice that we give has been learned as we became successful in our world. Our advice, no matter how meaningful it is to us, may not be relevant to our grandchildren. Their world is different, and they may have to learn life’s lessons the way we did, by trial and error. Nothing wrong with that.
Articles from Royce ShookView blog
Many of us remember the 60s as a time of turmoil and change and it was. However, there was a traditi ...
Women are less prepared for retirement than men. On average, women have 30% less saved for retiremen ...
Governments have faced financial challenges in the past and have often looked towards pensioners as ...
You may be interested in these jobs
Found in: Talent CA - 2 days ago
Starbucks Stony Plain, Canada
shift supervisor - Store# 51105, STONY PLAIN Job Posting · :Nov 29, 2022 Applications to this Job Posting expire on: · :Ongoing Brand · :Starbucks Coffee Company Location · :Stony Plain (Store# 51105)3011 43 AvenueCRU 4Stony PlainT7Z 0H4 As a Starbucks Shift Superviso ...
Found in: Talent CA± - 5 days ago
londonline burger Sarnia, Canada
Education: · No degree, certificate or diploma Experience: 1 to less than 7 months Work setting Restaurant Cook categories Cook (general) · Line cook Tasks Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods Prepare dishes for customers with food allergies or intoleran ...
Student - Park Ranger (1676)
Found in: Jooble CA - 4 days ago
Various Ministries Cloyne, ON, Canada
All applications must be submitted through the Ontario Public Service Careers website by clicking the Apply Online button on the job ad. Applications submitted through third party websites will not be accepted. Are you a student looking for an opportunity to build your career ov ...
1 year ago #2
Thanks John I like the additions
1 year ago #1
Two I've made up.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water it can't swim back.
Never drop a stich in time, when trying to save nine.
Plus a bonus
Experience has no age barriers so get learning.